Who does not love great looking URLs and easy to read links. In Joomla 3 we have the ability to make your URLs look more friendly and easy to understand. While we crave to make them easy and more readable by tweaking some options in the backend, we might still end up with article ID’s inside the URLs.
How are we going to manage that Ids and make them disappear from the URLs?. Well, you don't have to worry about it because there is an easy way to handle it.
All you have to do is follow some steps mentioned below and you should be completely free from those IDS inside the URL of your Joomla and make URLs look great, friendly and more readable. In the steps outlined below, we will be creating a new option that will show up under Articles Manager options allowing us to simply Enable or Disable IDs.
You’ll need to have access to the Joomla Core Files usually found through file manager from cPanel of your website. If you do not have access to the files, you may gain it by installing this great little extension Extplorer to access the files right from your Joomla Administration.
Very Important: Before you follow the resolution below, ensure to backup your site. One Click Backup for Joomla
Once you have access to the core files of your Joomla, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to administrator/components/com_content/
- Look for config.xml file and make an offline copy of it in the case of a mishap.
- Now add the following code in this file right below <config> Tag:
- Now save the file and navigate to website Admin console
- Go to Content > Articles and select Options
- Now under Articles Tab, you should have an option to SEF Advanced Mode
- Set this to Yes and click Save and Close
- Visit the front end to confirm the output.
Applicable to: Joomla 3.x.x (Tested it over Joomla 3.1.x and Joomla 3.2.x and 3.7.x).
If you face any difficulty while deploying this fix, drop me a line and I will be happy to help you. Did you find it helpful? Drop a line and share it forward to help others. Have a nice day.