While working with Joomla sites administration you may experience the following error:
Error: This webpage is not available
The webpage at http://<your-website>/administrator/index.php?option=com_menus&view=item&layout=edit&id=xxxx might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
You're experiencing Content Decoding error when trying to manage your Joomla website. The error usually appears during one of the situation listed below:
- The error mostly occurred while you are trying to do one of the following:
- While trying to login to Joomla Backend
- While editing or creating Menu Items
- While editing or creating Articles
- While Editing Modules
- While Editing Plugins
- While Editing Template settings
- While trying to change any of the configuration options
- While saving articles
Well, you may experience it due any of the situation mentioned above and or other cause. If you’re facing it because of other cause, we urge you to mention it under the comments below so that we can help others by updating this article.
While you’re facing this error there are high chances that you not be able to access the Joomla Backed most of the times. But if you are luckily able to access the Joomla backend, you may try the resolution number 01 else you may skip the resolution number 1 and try the resolution number 02.
- Go to Joomla Administration
- Now click on Global Configuration under System menu
- Under Server Tab change Gzip Page Compression from Yes to No
- Click on Save & Close
- Now click on Clear Expired Cache under System menu
- Click on Clear Expired Cache button
Try to perform the same operation that you were unable to perform and confirm if the problem is fixed.
If you’re unable to access Joomla Administration Page (Joomla Backend) you may consider the following resolution.
- Login to cPanel of your hosting account
- Now open File Manager and navigate to public_html folder and locate configuration.php file.
- Now Edit the configuration.php file
- Change the value of public $gzip from ‘1’ to ‘0’ (this is usually found at line number 34
- Save the file
Applies to: Joomla 3.x. May work for Joomla 2.5 or prior verions (I have not tested it personally, hence would request you to add any observations.
Try to perform the same operation that you were unable to perform and confirm whether the problem is fixed. If you face any difficulty while deploying this fix, drop me a line and I will be happy to help you.
Did you find it helpful? Drop a line and share it forward to help others. Have a nice day